Sunday, August 7, 2011

Boo! to you




I heart Halloween. It is probably my favorite holiday (with Christmas following in a close second). Anyway, I've seen various versions of these blocks over the years at Spoon River Drive and thought I'd make my own. Of course I also listed these at my etsy shop.

Quick tutorial...and sorry no pics. It's hard to take a picture one-handed while working on this stuff.

1. Paint wood blocks with black paint.
2. Cut paper squares to fit each block. These are 1 1/2 inches so my creative memories square punch cuts the perfect size.
3. Attach paper using a thin layer of mod podge.
4. Trim any paper that is hanging over the edge and gently sand.
5. The letters are tricky. I cut out the letters using my Slice and Spook Alley design card. Then I traced the letters on the blocks in pencil. I used a black paint pen to fill it in.
6. Ink the sanded edges with black chalk ink. This gives it a "spookier" feel.
7. Add another thin layer of mod podge and let dry.

These are very quick and very easy to make. You could also use painted chipboard or stickers instead of hand-painting the letters. It would probably be easier and I should do that to weed through my letter sticker stash but I never think about it until I'm finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment