Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gee, I wish I had some tomatoes....

To say I have a lot of tomatoes is an understatement. Let the canning commence!

I attempted to make tomato paste this weekend. The jury is still out on how it turned out. I'm still on the fence about it. I started out with peeling, coring, and cutting almost 5 dozen tomatoes. My fingers did make the journey unscathed. 

Basically it was pretty easy. They simmered for about an hour. Then I used my lovely immersion blender and made them into puree.


Then I let them cook down some more. Then I put it in the crock pot with a few cups of red sweet peppers, a few garlic cloves, and a few bay leaves.

This is what the concoction looked like today after cooking forever.

I'm not going to bother canning this but just threw them in some freezer baggies instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment